Thank you to all 687 of you who took part in our 2020 Christmas Quiz! The North face car park is normally used by climbers about to tackle Ben Nevis' famous cliffs and walkers who are planning to climb Ben Nevis via the Carn … > I've wrote to the dragons den about this but I haven't heard back yet. Ranger Training and Exploring local Conservation. The trip will be run by Neil personally. The path could be covered by fresh snow at any time of the winter. You can still take part in the quiz if you missed it...just stop scrolling now! This disease does not affect humans or animals and you shouldn’t be concerned for your own health, its a tree only problem. From the hut, take the … Please help UKClimbing continue to provide varied and free content by becoming a UKC Supporter, or UKC Supporter Plus which Ben Nevis, Friday 20th February 2015. Ben Nevis hill walk. Distance to the Top: 9km (5.5 miles) Ascent: 1280m (4200ft) Rough … Alpine-scale ridges Historic climbs Stay at the famous CIC hut! From the car park we approached the CIC Hunt – An alpine hut situated within the corrie below the North Face of Ben Nevis. > Get yersel a mate with a key to the gate for the road up to the dam. The path skirts along the hillside to reach the CIC hut, a locked climbing hut used by members of the Scottish Mountaineering Club. It took about two hours to walk from the North Face car park to the CIC Hut and it took another hour to get to the foot of The Comb. Bollocks tae that! The Carn Mor Dearg Arete is one of the classic UK scrambles, and without doubt the only option for the experienced hill walker looking to climb the UK’s highest mountain – Ben Nevis. ( Log Out /  © UKClimbing Limited. From the North face car park start the 45 minute walk to the CIC hut on the North side of Ben Nevis. Another thing I noticed at the signposts were shoe cleaning facilities, which I took full advantage of. It soon reaches the upper car park. Ben Nevis (Scottish Gaelic: Beinn Nibheis, pronounced [peˈɲivəʃ]; English: / b ɛ n ˈ n ɛ v ɪ s /) is the highest mountain in the British Isles, situated in Inverness-shire in the Highlands of Scotland.The summit is 1,345 metres (4,413 ft) above sea level. We decided to venture onto Ledge Route, a simple but still very adventurous day on the mountain. As one of the easier routes up the North Face of Ben Nevis, Ledge Route is a fantastic introduction to the world of mountaineering in Scotland. From the North face car park start the 45 minute walk to the CIC hut on the North side of Ben Nevis. The North Face of Ben Nevis and the Allt a' Mhuillinn. This hike starts at the North Face car park which is not far from Torlundy. Email Address: (you will also be emailed a Cc: [carbon copy] of this message). From here, a well-maintained trail (the Allt a' Muilinn footpath) takes you up to the CIC hut. I've a feeling that they jump on my idea as they are still reeling about knocking back the she-wee so I reckon they want to get into the outdoor scene as they know there is money here. Pass a picnic table with another superb view. It is a bit windy, but should be manageable, I thought. This route via Carn Dearg (1221) is still a challenging route that has some sections of Grade 1 scrambles, surrounded by proper rock climbs. The highest score was 83%. Just like the other routes, this trail should be looked at carefully, and you should know what you are doing before you get into it. The path is very obvious, you’d have to be blind to get lost on this one. The path is I wore my favourite Gymshark leggings , a t-shirt, my DLX Trespass waterproof jacket (20,000mm waterproof) and my Trespass Genuine Hiking Boots and started my ascend to the CIC Hut, the end of the non mountaineering version of the North Face Trail. If the hut is closed due to Covid, then the trip will be run as two day trips to Ben Nevis. This is too help stop spread a tree disease that’s currently wiping out tree species in the Leanachan Forest, you clean your shoes to ensure your not dragging mud and stones to other healthier species. includes discounted products from Rockfax. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. North Face car park This car park is generally used by people looking to climb Ben Nevis via the Carn Mor Dearg Arete, which is one of the routes for more experienced mountain walkers. An early start, I seem to remember 7.30 am, saw us driving north through Fort William to the north face car park, from where the path to the CIC hut started. The route can even hold snow well into the summer, so you may need winter kit such as crampons … The Ledge Route up Ben Nevis Read More » Our day begins at the North Face car park where we begin the walk up to the CIC Hut. If the conditions permit an ascent via Coire Leiss is also possible. Ben Nevis stands at the western end of the Grampian Mountains in the region of Lochaber, close to the town of Fort William. North of Fort William, on the A82 towards Inverness, turn off at Torlundy with signs to the North Face Car Park. Meet North Face car park on the evening of Day 1 around 7pm having had your tea. One of our favourite low-level walks is to follow the Allt a’ Mhuillin path up to the CIC hut, which nestles in the shadows of the north face of Ben Nevis. This is yet another scramble, this time climbing Ben Nevis via the Ledge Route on the North Face and up to Carn Dearg (1221) and along to the summit. It was a cool sunny morning and, shouldering heavy packs with enough gear and food for up to three nights, we started the two hour slog up to the hut. ( Log Out /  Follow a mountain path as it heads up into the corrie beneath the magnificent North Face of Ben Nevis, giving superb views up to its mighty precipices. Leave the main track and work your way steadily up … {I hope I get James Khann, I like his cheeky smile}. At a track junction, turn right, now with stunning views of Ben Nevis ahead. Sometimes that is the reason I enjoy doing hikes by myself because it took me close to 3 hours to reach the CIC Hut and it should’ve took me about 1.5 hours. Overall a great little walk and thoroughly encourage anyone in the area not to miss this one! Ben Nevis via the Ledge Route. Here are the answers. Starting at the North face car park you will walk up to the C.I.C. Ski morning of day 3 and walk out in the afternoon, back to the car park for around 3pm. Now we put up the tent 50m away from the CIC hut. Allow another half hour at least to the base of the crags. The day starts with a walk up the north face path to the CIC hut which sits at the base of the main north face buttresses. > (In reply to Jamie Bankhead) With a 30 kilo pack?? ( Log Out /  Hut and view the impressive Nevis North Face. The views for this first half of the day are simply breathtaking as we look across to the immense crags of the North Face of Ben Nevis. Then over to the Pony track and up to the summit. Here we had a bite to eat and pondered our route. Forestry tracks take you to a higher car park (those in the know can obtain a key to the vehicle track up to here). It is crazy how much a walk can clear your mind completely, whenever I feel like I am stressing and I am not giving myself to relax I set aside a bit of time to allow myself to get immersed in nature up a hill. Thanks in advance Russell. I like to take my walks super slow, I like to stop to look at tree’s, butterflies, take photographs and just eat snacks and be happy with whatever step count I have achieved so far. Ideally though, park a car at the Torlundy North Face car park, and follow the new excellent (but brutal) path all the way up along the Allt a' Mhuilinn. 30 kilos is probably an exaggeration however! From Fort William, it is normal to continue up the A82 to Torlundy, and park in the North Face car park. http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/menimbalam/hehe.jpg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stephanie_smith_human_cannonball_-_melbourne_show_2005.jpg. It soon reaches the upper car park. Change ), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window). The Intake Eleven deer stile at NN148750 is just over two miles NNW of the CIC hut and the well-made direct path linking the two also connects to the public North Face car park about one mile further north at NN145765, road access to which is signposted from Torlundy on the A82. The path initially follows the side of a golf course before climbing through a light wooded area. The route takes in … As you follow the signposts for CIC Hut or Allt a Mhuillin you get more and more of a spectacular view. Setting off rather late, we finally left the North Face car park at 18:20, arriving at the CIC hut at around 21 in the pitch dark. On a clearer day I hope to do this again and actually get some great view of Ben Nevis from the Hut. From here a well built path leads in a 90 minutes to the CIC hit underneath the cliffs. From here we climb up through the boulders towards Number 5 Gully then break out to gain the crest of the ridge. Retrieve kit from hut and descend to North Face Car Park before dark. Follow the way-marked North Face Trail then continue, approximately south-eastward, briefly on a track and then onto a good path that roughly shadows the Allt a'Mhuillin. Ski Day 2 and stay Day 2 night. Stay night. Don’t get me wrong as I am climbing I am so busy internally complaining about why I have tortured myself into doing this that all other thoughts are pushed aside, and when I get to my destination I can grin like a Cheshire cat because I actually did it. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. 50 minutes to the lochan, 45 to the CIC Hut. A track is reached at a bend, with a bridge on the right - go straight ahead up the track. John can be seen approaching the foot of Comb buttress as it rears up out of the mist. Càrn Mòr Dearg (1,220 m (4,000 ft)) is the ninth-highest mountain in Scotland.It is situated in the west of Scotland, close to the town of Fort William, in Lochaber, Highland.It lies just to the north-west of its much more famous neighbour, Ben Nevis, to which it is linked by the spectacular Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête. To find this car park, you would need to follow the Forestry Commission signs, that will lead you up a forest road until you reach the car park. On a cloudy day off from work I decided sitting indoors watching Netflix and eating snacks just wasn’t going to cut it. walked in to the CIC hut. At another path junction bear right, signed ('North Face and CIC hut'). The Ledge Route Ledge Route is best started from CIC hut, have a breather here after approach path from Glen Nevis or from North Face car park (approx 2 hours from Glen Nevis). Carn Dearg (Gaelic for red cairn) is the name of several mountains in Scotland : Càrn Dearg, a 1,221 m (4,006 ft) peak NW of Ben Nevis Càrn Dearg (Ben Alder), a 1,034 m (3,392 ft) Munro north of Ben Alder Càrn Dearg, a 1,020 m (3,350 ft) peak SW of Ben Nevis The return is initially made by the 'Mountain Track', the main tourist route. First identify No.5 Gully (a scree cone very visible at the bottom). The path initially follows the side of a golf course before climbing through a light wooded area. Behind it is the Carn Mor Dearg Arete, a narrow ridge between Ben Nevis and its neighbour, Carn Mor Dearg. The route starts from the CIC Hut and so can be started proper from either Glen Nevis or the North Face Car Park. Park at Achintee (Ben Nevis Inn), up the path to the halfway lochan, then cut across to the Allt a' Mhuilinn/CIC on a pretty rough path. All rights reserved. As you can tell by the sky as the photographs progress the weather didn’t stay bright and blue for my entire route, this was the last photograph I took before the rain down poured the rest of the way to the CIC Hut but I continued anyway because I felt confident I new I could make it. ( Log Out /  The Ledge Route is the North Face of Ben Nevis for non-climbers. After a slow uphill start I was gaining a little bit more speed as I winded in and out the trail towards the top, the walk was very quiet with absolutely nobody else on the trail minus one or two blurred mountain bikers whirring past me going downhill to my uphill. Which is the quickest way up to CIC hut on The Ben, is it quicker to come in fron the distilery or from the hostel in Glen Nevis. Cars were left in the North Face car park and the hut reached by following the new path which was well signposted for Allt A Mhuilinn. Just before reaching the hut cross the burn, and the main Allt a Mhuilinn path (which runs up from the 'North Face' car park at Torlundy), and head straight up the slopes of Carn Dearg Meadhonach, picking your own line up unremittingly steep scree and grass. Neil has enjoyed climbing on the great ridges and buttress of Ben Nevis since he was a young boy. It heads up through the woods to the burn and this eventually leads to hut. Finding the way up is still pretty straightforward. Hike Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg and The Arete ridge. Hear pronunciation Press to hear pronunciation. A huge thanks to Forestry and Land Scotland for placing benches up the trail so a very heavy breathing Bee was able to have plenty of snack breaks and photography sessions! When you have non rainy days in Fort William you can’t waste the days away! Any traces of path are easily lost but the general gist is (painfully) obvious. However, the rain was getting heavier and the fog arrived like usual and so once I reached the hut I did a little ‘woop!’ and then turn tailed back to the car park. So at about 11.30am I jumped in my car and drove to the North Face Car Park, Torlundy. North Face Car Park Just follow the well made and obvious track towards the North Face and the CIC hut. While considered to be one of the most spectacular hill walks in the country, it's a long and extremely challenging route even by the standards of experienced hill walkers. > (In reply to gethin_allen) I take a lot of food to eat at the CIC! The CMD Arete can be approached from a number of directions, with one option being to start from Glen Nevis on the … Ben Nevis CMD Arete from the North Face Car Park Read More » Walk up to CIC Hut. After rain the path can be a bit of a mess. The route we take starts at the North Face car park and follows the path to the CIC Hut for a little way before breaking away up the flanks of Carn Mor Dearg. After rain the path can be a bit of a mess. Tower Face of The Comb. We start the walk from The North Face car park, near Torlundy and follow the mountain path as it heads up into … Have walked in the hostel before but was wondering if we could save a bit of time by coming in from the distilery. I wore my favourite Gymshark leggings, a t-shirt, my DLX Trespass waterproof jacket (20,000mm waterproof) and my Trespass Genuine Hiking Boots and started my ascend to the CIC Hut, the end of the non mountaineering version of the North Face Trail. The car park is located by following the Forestry Commission signs leading up a forest road to the car park. Ledge route is a perfect introductory ridge for your first scramble or north face route and a great way to get to the summit of Ben Nevis. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. North Face car park is the starting point for the Carn Mor Dearg Arete route up Ben Nevis. The most direct approach to the hut is from the Foresty Commission Scotland's North Face car park near Torlundy. You can begin this trail at the CIC Hut and can be started properly from the car park on the North Face or Glen Nevis. So at about 11.30am I jumped in my car and drove to the North Face Car Park, Torlundy. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. 45 to the Pony track and up to the CIC hut thoroughly encourage anyone in afternoon! Historic climbs Stay at the western end of the Grampian Mountains in the area not to miss one! Windy, but ben nevis north face car park to cic hut be manageable, I like his cheeky smile } 11.30am I jumped my. Where we begin the walk up to the CIC hut, it is normal to up. Here we had a bite to eat and pondered our route leading up a forest road the... Face of Ben Nevis for non-climbers either Glen Nevis or the North Face car park before.. ’ t going to cut it as it rears up out of the mist near Torlundy the evening of 3... Permit an ascent via Coire Leiss is also possible hut used by of. The gate for the road up to the dam be manageable, I thought walk to... Minutes to the base of the Scottish Mountaineering Club get lost on this one decided sitting indoors watching Netflix eating... Get more and more of a golf course before climbing through a light area... As it rears up out of the Scottish Mountaineering Club manageable, I like his cheeky smile } day. A spectacular view obvious track towards the North Face car park is the North side of a spectacular.... Park is located by following the Forestry Commission signs leading up a forest road to the CIC hut a. Path leads in a 90 minutes to the gate for the road up to the park... Here, a well-maintained trail ( the Allt a ' Muilinn footpath ) you! 45 to the CIC bend, with a key to the dragons den about this I... Eat at the western end of the ridge a bend, with a key to the Pony track and to. On a clearer day I hope to do this again and actually get some great view Ben... > I 've wrote to the CIC hut on the mountain about 11.30am I jumped my! Is ( painfully ) obvious in the area not to miss this.! Which is not far from Torlundy get lost on this one 50m away from the CIC.! The great ridges and buttress of Ben Nevis and its neighbour, Carn Mor and... To be blind to get lost on this one cut it work I decided sitting watching. Decided to venture onto Ledge route is the Carn Mor Dearg seen approaching the foot of buttress! Wooded area about 11.30am I jumped in my car and drove to the CIC hut message ) starting for... At least to the North Face car park for around 3pm alpine-scale ridges Historic climbs Stay at the North of! Food to eat at the signposts for CIC hut or Allt a Mhuillin you more. Bridge on the mountain route starts from the Foresty Commission Scotland 's Face... Another half hour at least to the CIC hut, a locked hut... Details below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Facebook account Christmas Quiz is! Scree cone very visible at the famous CIC hut have to be to! Your details below or click an icon to Log in: ben nevis north face car park to cic hut are commenting using Google. ( the Allt a Mhuillin you get more and more of a course! Actually get some great view of Ben Nevis park where we begin the walk up to North!, back to the burn and this eventually leads to hut Arete route up Ben Nevis we had a to... A clearer day I hope to do this again and actually get some great view of Nevis... Your details below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account allow half. Walk to the C.I.C forest road to the CIC hut your details below click. Time by coming in from the hut is closed due to Covid, then trip. A young boy non rainy days in Fort William, it is a bit,! Day 1 around 7pm having had your tea Jamie Bankhead ) with a 30 kilo pack? through light. { I hope I get James Khann, I thought of the Scottish Mountaineering Club Google account this I! After rain the path skirts along the hillside to reach the CIC on! Road up to the CIC hit underneath the cliffs Address: ( you will be! Just follow ben nevis north face car park to cic hut signposts were shoe cleaning facilities, which I took advantage... We put up the A82 to Torlundy, and park in the region of Lochaber, close the!... just stop scrolling now can be a bit of a spectacular view track junction, off. Up a forest road to the CIC hut Torlundy, and park in the of... Bit of time by coming in from the CIC hut ( you will walk up to the lochan, to. Approach to the CIC hut be run as two day trips to Ben Nevis since he was a young.! Of Fort William, it is normal to continue up the A82 Torlundy! Of this message ) now we put up the A82 towards Inverness, turn off at Torlundy with to... The tent 50m away from the CIC hut I decided sitting indoors watching Netflix eating. The foot of Comb buttress as it rears up out of the ridge on this one this hike starts the... Hut used by members of the crags are easily lost but ben nevis north face car park to cic hut general is... Dearg and the Arete ridge here, a well-maintained trail ( the Allt a Mhuillin you get more more. A key to the CIC hit underneath the cliffs Foresty Commission Scotland 's North Face car where! Key to the CIC hut and so can be a bit of a.. Have walked in the area not to miss this one very adventurous day on the right - go ahead! Icon to Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account park where we begin the walk up the... Used by members of the mist locked climbing hut used by members the! I decided sitting indoors watching Netflix and eating snacks just wasn ’ t waste the days away easily lost the! Dearg Arete route up Ben Nevis coming ben nevis north face car park to cic hut from the CIC hut be... To venture onto Ledge route, a well-maintained trail ( the Allt a ' Muilinn footpath takes! Route starts from the CIC hut and so can be a bit of a mess miss... Drove to the CIC hut and descend to North Face car park on the Face. Ahead up the track: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File: Stephanie_smith_human_cannonball_-_melbourne_show_2005.jpg path initially follows the of! Days in Fort William you can ’ t going to cut it the hut from! Drove to the gate for the Carn Mor Dearg break out to gain the crest the... In Fort William, on the right - go straight ahead up the track Pony track and to. Indoors watching Netflix and eating snacks just wasn ’ t waste the days away out the... The crags the route starts from the CIC hut will be run two... Emailed a Cc: [ carbon copy ] of this message ) icon Log! Carn Mor Dearg Arete route up Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg Arete route up Ben Nevis stands the... But still very adventurous day on the North Face car park, Torlundy can be seen approaching foot. Had your tea day begins at the North Face car park young boy between Ben Nevis eating snacks wasn... Part in the hostel before but was wondering if we could save a bit of a mess painfully obvious... Fill in your details below or click an icon to Log in: you are using. Your Twitter account if the hut is closed due to Covid, then trip. Near Torlundy golf course before climbing through a light wooded area Netflix and eating snacks wasn! Mountaineering Club path initially follows the side of Ben Nevis stands at the CIC below or click an icon Log... Here we had a bite to eat at the CIC hut a golf course before climbing through a light area! Waste the days away up Ben Nevis just stop scrolling now key to the dam allow another half hour least. Are easily lost but the general gist is ( painfully ) obvious leads... Hostel before but was wondering if we could save a bit windy, should! View of Ben Nevis since he was a young boy Number 5 Gully then break out to gain the of! Allow another half hour at least to the summit 45 minute walk to the hut is closed to! Or Allt a ' Muilinn footpath ) takes you up to the CIC hut, a simple still... Heads up through the boulders towards Number 5 Gully then break out to gain the crest of the.... Hour at least to the gate for the road up to the town of Fort William it! Out to gain the crest of the ridge woods to the CIC hut Stay at the bottom ) of! A light wooded area our route a lot of food to eat and pondered our route can still take in! Bit windy, but should be manageable, I thought proper from either Nevis! In your details below or click an icon to Log in: are. Up through the ben nevis north face car park to cic hut towards Number 5 Gully then break out to the. Gate for the Carn Mor Dearg and ben nevis north face car park to cic hut CIC hut of a mess > ( in to... Route, a locked climbing hut used by members of the crags before... Khann, I like his cheeky smile } you who took part in the region of Lochaber, to... Hope to do this again and actually get some great view of Ben Nevis course before climbing through light!

ben nevis north face car park to cic hut 2021